Skip to content


Some of the frequent questions relating to the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) projects being completed are answered below. If you would like clarification or additional information, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ask us a question about the studio apartments

NRAS is the National Rental Affordability Scheme. NRAS is an Australian Government initiative that aims to address the shortage of affordable rental accommodation by offering a financial incentive to accommodation providers. As a result of obtaining NRAS funding, the University of Tasmania will be able to offer its apartments at 25% below market rates.

UTAS Student Living will offer the following:

To be eligible to be considered for an NRAS apartment:

  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • Your gross annual income (in Australian dollars) must not exceed the threshold set by NRAS.

Your eligibility to occupy an NRAS-approved dwelling will be assessed each time you sign a new Residential Tenancy Agreement. Your eligibility and supporting documentation may also be audited by the Australian Government's Department of Social Services (DSS).

Residency is defined as the start date of your initial Residential Tenancy Agreement regardless of what date you move in.

Please note:

  • Priority will be given to students travelling from elsewhere in Australia.
  • The 18 year minimum age limit applies to NRAS approved dwellings but not to all University of Tasmania accommodation. If you are younger than 18 years and require University accommodation, contact Student Living to discuss your options.

The University of Tasmania's Student Living Team are responsible for assessing your eligibility to live in an NRAS-approved dwelling. It is your responsibility to advise Student Living Team if your situation changes and you are no longer eligible.

Along with your application for accommodation, you are required to provide an estimate of your annual gross income for the 12 month period ending on the day before the start of your proposed Residential Agreement. To be eligible for NRAS accommodation, your annual gross income must be below the threshold set by NRAS.

Your income, not your parents' income is what is assessed. This means that any income you have received in the past 12 months will need to be declared for assessment.

Gross income is the income - from all sources - you have received before tax.

Here are some examples of what is included when declaring your income to Student Living:

  • income from all work-related activities
  • income from parents/guardians/family members to help support you, including where they make contributions to the rent or pay it on your behalf
  • income from scholarships or bursaries
  • income received from the Australian Government, including rental assistance and youth allowance or any other Centrelink payments
  • interest and dividends earned on investments, including interest from bank accounts and share dividends
  • income from other sources including overseas government assistance
  • net income from any other source.

Not necessarily. There are limited NRAS apartments and they are in high demand. UTAS Student Living does not guarantee that all eligible applicants will receive an offer for NRAS apartments. If you are eligible but miss out on a place in an NRAS approved dwelling, UTAS Student Living will, subject to availability, offer you one of its other accommodation options.

If you are not eligible for NRAS apartments, UTAS Student Living will, subject to availability and suitability, consider you for non-NRAS accommodation.

Individuals whose income is above the threshold set by NRAS will not be eligible to live in the NRAS-approved accommodation, but may still be considered for non-NRAS accommodation.

As part of the NRAS conditions, the Student Living Team must offer residents (or prospective residents) of NRAS dwellings on a residential agreement, which abides by the conditions set out in the Residential Tenancy Act 1997. You can elect to have a longer residential agreement if you wish - up to a maximum of 52 weeks. However, minimum lease terms apply and these can be found on the relevant studio apartment pages on our website. For more information please click here for a copy of "A tenants' guide to renting in Tasmania (PDF 469.9 KB)".

This is different from the 42 week residency agreement that the Student Living Team provides for non-NRAS accommodation.

Yes; however, you will need to advise the Student Living Team (for safety reasons), and not permit any other person to occupy and/or share the apartment on a temporary or permanent basis.

On the NRAS page of the Australian Government's Department of Social Service website.

If you need to break your lease, you will be responsible for payment of rent until the lease ends or a suitable replacement can be found by the Student Living Team.

Unfortunately there are no discounts available for upfront rent payments or early departures. You are responsible for your lease until its expiry date.