Become a Homestay Host
Hosting through the Homestay program is a great chance for you, your family, and your friends to share a cultural exchange with people from diverse backgrounds. You may have the chance to host students from many different countries and ranging in age from 17 to 40 years and older.
Accommodation Services at the University of Tasmania offers an excellent Homestay program for students studying at the University. Homestay accommodation provides a safe, caring, and rewarding environment with an Australian host. Homestay is about experiencing Australian culture with a local family and students can improve their English faster by talking with their hosts.
Students may elect to stay in Homestay anywhere from 5 to 50 weeks. This mostly depends on their course length and intentions while studying in Tasmania.
As a Homestay host, you need to offer:
- one bedroom per student with a bed, desk, lamp, heater, and storage space for clothes
- close proximity to public transport and commuting time within 30 minutes to the University
- a welcoming, friendly, and supportive home environment
- three healthy meals per day for the student.
In return, the University:
- gives support and advice on a wide range Homestay-related areas
- pays you $500 per fortnight and manages the payment system
- provides social events to connect hosts and share information.
Prior to placement, all current residents over the age of 18 must provide the University with one of the following:
- a current national police check (valid within the last two years)
- teacher/nurse registration
- a childcare safety screening certificate.