Become a Homestay HostHosting an international student is a great chance for you, your family, and your friends, to share a cultural exchange with people from diverse backgrounds. You may have the chance to host students from many different countries and ranging in age from 17 to 40 years and older. Students may elect to stay in Homestay anywhere from 5-50 weeks. This greatly depends on their course length and intentions while studying in Tasmania.
Accommodation Services, University of Tasmania, runs an excellent Homestay Program for international students studying at the at English Language Centre in Hobart and Launceston.
To become a Homestay Host, you need to be able to offer:
- One bedroom per student with a bed, desk, lamp, heater, and storage space for clothes
- Close proximity to public transport and commuting time within 30 minutes to the University
- A welcoming, friendly, and supportive home environment
- 3 healthy meals per day for the student.
- Gives support and advice on a wide range Homestay-related areas
- Pays you $430 per fortnight and manages the payment system.
- It is the responsibility of Homestay students to pay their Homestay rent to the University, not directly to the host.
- A current National Police Check (valid within the last 2 years)
- Teacher/Nurse Registration
- A Childcare Safety Screening Certificate.