Hosting through the Homestay program is a wonderful opportunity for you, your family, and your friends to share a cultural exchange with people from all over the world.
Homestay offers a home away from home for students who are enrolled in numerous programs at UTAS, as well as visiting researchers and academics.
Applicants who elect Homestay as their accommodation option can stay from five weeks and up to the length of their course, which can be three years for postgraduate students.
The Homestay Program now offers two models of Homestay, Traditional Model and the Flexible Model. Whether you opt for the Traditional or the Flexible model, the most important aspect of Homestay is that you as the Host still engage with your Homestay resident on a regular basis.
Based on the Traditional and Flexible Models, Hosts need to provide:
- one bedroom per student (fully furnished bedroom with bed, bed linen, storage space for clothes, desk, chair, light and heating)
- close proximity to public transport and commuting time <30 minutes (via public transport) to the University
- a welcoming, friendly, and supportive home environment
- three healthy meals per day for the student
- Highly desired: Internet/wifi availability
Flexible Model (NO MEALS) - two different options
- private single bedroom in home (as in Traditional Model) with all inclusions except NO MEALS; use of home kitchen to prepare own meals OR
- self-contained flat options (fully furnished); NO MEALS
What our Hosts receive in return:
- Financial remuneration of $500 per fortnight (Traditional Model), managed by the University
- Support from the University and other Homestay Hosts
- A positive experience of sharing your home and life with a student
How to become a Homestay Host
- Complete the online Homestay Host Application Form.
- Submit the additional required paperwork (see below) to the Homestay Coordinator
- Once paperwork is submitted, the Homestay Coordinator will contact you to organise a home visit.
- If your application and home visit are successful, the Homestay Coordinator will contact you as soon as there is a potential hosting opportunity - welcome to the program!
If you would like further information, please contact us
Paperwork to submit
1. Prior to placement, all household members over the age of 18 must provide the University with at least ONE current national checks:
- Police Check (current within two years)
- Teacher Registration
- Nurse Registration
- Tasmanian Working with Children OR Working with Vulnerable People (Preferred)
(Please note: ALL Hosts are required to submit a new agreement annually).
3. Current Bank Details for payment submission (form from Homestay Coordinator)