Become a Homestay Host
Hosting an international student is a great chance for you, your family, and your friends, to share a cultural exchange with people from diverse backgrounds. You may have the chance to host students from many different countries and ranging in age from 17 to 40 years and older. Students may elect to stay in Homestay anywhere from 5-50 weeks. This greatly depends on their course length and intentions while studying in Tasmania.
To become a Homestay Host, you need to be able to offer:
- One bedroom per student with a bed, desk, lamp, heater, and storage space for clothes
- Close proximity to public transport and commuting time within 30 minutes to the University
- A welcoming, friendly, and supportive home environment
- 3 healthy meals per day for the student.
In return, the University:
- Gives support and advice on a wide range Homestay-related areas
- Pays you $430 per fortnight and manages the payment system.
It is the responsibility of Homestay students to pay their Homestay rent to the University, not directly to the host.
If you would like to apply to become a Homestay Host, please complete the Homestay Host Profile (PDF 40.6KB) and email it as an attachment to the relevant Homestay Coordinator. The Homestay Coordinators can be contacted by email or by phone during business hours.
Before students can be placed with a new homestay host, all people over the age of 18 who live in the house must provide the University with one of the following:
- A current National Police Check (valid within the last 2 years)
- Teacher/Nurse Registration
- A Childcare Safety Screening Certificate.