Who can apply for Homestay?
Homestay is now a successful accommodation option for current/future UTAS students as well as other visitors connected to the university, including:
- Domestic students
- International Students
- English Language Centre (ELC) students
- Study Tour students (4-6 week intensive programs)
- Exchange students
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- Visiting researchers
- Visiting academics
Homestay accommodation offers both the Traditional Model and the Flexible Model.
Traditional Model - catered ($270/week; Over18 applicants)
- one bedroom per student (fully furnished bedroom with bed, bed linen, storage space for clothes, desk, chair, light and heating)
- close proximity to public transport and commuting time within 30 minutes to the University
- a welcoming, friendly, and supportive home environment
- three healthy meals per day for the student
- Possibly included Internet/wifi availability
Flexible Model - non-catered (weekly rate varies)
- private single bedroom in home (as in Traditional Model) with all inclusions except NO MEALS; use of home kitchen to prepare own meals OR
- self-contained flat options (fully furnished); NO MEALS
Homestay Accommodation is not guaranteed but subject to suitability and availability at the time of application.
Frequently asked questions
You must apply online.
We recommend that you apply at least 14 days before your arrival date to allow us time to find you a suitable placement.
Important note: Submitting an application does not guarantee a placement.
Homestay accommodation costs AU$270 per week. A one-time Homestay placement fee of A$185 will also be charged - it is non-refundable.
You pay AU$270 per week*. This includes:
- accommodation (fully furnished bedroom with bed, bed linen, storage, light and heating)
- 3 meals a day
- utilities (water, electricity and gas).
Internet access might be included in your rent or your host might charge extra for internet use.
You should buy an international phone card after you arrive in Australia. This is the cheapest way to call your family in your home country.
The Homestay fee does not include public transport to and from the University.
*PLEASE NOTE: This rate does not apply to U18 Homestay (2017).
Most Homestay hosts live in nearby suburbs and most students travel by bus to the University. Homestay houses are usually within 30 minutes' bus travel to the University.
Your Homestay family will be allocated based on the information you give us in your online application. Please include as much information in the application as you can - it helps us find a suitable host family for you.