Accommodation Services runs a tutorial program between March and October. Residents may benefit from the skills of a tutor who has recently finished the requested subjects and earned a distinction or better. Most of our tutors are residents or other UTAS students and offer close, convenient and invaluable one-hour weekly tutorials. These may be related either to a specific subject, or to general skills such as essay writing, exam preparation and time management.
Tutorial assistance may take the form of:
- one-on-one assistance
- group tutorial led by a tutor
- a study group of your peers, or
- a UTAS run program.
Those who receive extra tutorial assistance have been proven to perform better in their studies. So take advantage of this service and increase your chances.
You can find tutorial request forms in a cubby hole on the bottom row of mailboxes in the administration foyer. Fill one in and hand it over to administration staff for tutorial options and further information.
Residential Support Officers
Your Residential Support Officer (RSO) is your first point of contact for routine and extraordinary needs.
You can expect your RSO to:
- attend to most lockouts
- provide access to communal areas and facilities
- provide an extra level of security
- manage floor or block issues
- assist with personal/pastoral issues
- administrative issues and tasks
- including initiating discipline
- check residents in and out
- provide access to storage
The RSOs are available from 5:00pm every night and on Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am.
RSO duty phone numbers are:
- Christ College, John Fisher College & University Apartments: 6226 6000, or via the help phone.
- Mount Nelson Villas dial: 6226 7095, 6226 6095 or 0417132743
- Kerslake and Leprena: 0417 314 724
- Investigator Hall: 0417 318 091
These calls are free from any room phone.
When in doubt ask your Residential Support Team. The team consists of the RSOs, led by Paddy Barbour, Assistant Director. We're a friendly bunch. Confused, sad, disgruntled, angry, curious, enlivened or participative? Come and share it with us. It's part of why we're here and we're listening.
Services offered by the University
Additional student assistance is also available through the following areas in the university:
- tutoring at your School
UTAS offers a range of support services to all students
- financial matters
- events calendar
- residents newsletters
- Tasmanian University Union
- sport and recreation
- student support and services